Here we go, Free Fall : Renaissance comes to its end. A formidable adventure started the 11th Mars 2014, almost one year ago, date when I officially published the first chapter of my fiction directly taking place after the movie. You were many to wait for the conclusion of this story, me in the first place. I know it has been very long, because I have sometimes lacked of time, and also of motivation to write, so I sincerely want to thank all the people who have continued to follow the publication of the chapters and who sent me numerous support messages. I didn’t imagine one year ago that this fiction without pretension would obtain such a success. As I announced you previously, I’m thinking of releasing the fiction in the form of an e-book. I will keep you updated about the evolution of this project, because I will have more time to spend regarding this question now that Free Fall : Renaissance is terminated. Once again a big thanks to all of you and good reading !! P.S. : stay connected next Saturday, one last little surprise awaits you.
It has only been two days since I have left Kay in Düsseldorf, however I only desire one thing : to see him again. If it were up to me, I would take my Golf and join him in order to stay with him forever. Unfortunately, even if I am immersed in an infinite happiness because I have finally managed to find him again, I can’t forget my life here, my job and most importantly Max.
At work, colleagues compliment me, because they must see that my silence and my sadness from previous months have turned in a joy and happiness that nothing could stop. As a teenager living his first romance, I am continuously bound over my cell phone, watching out for any text message from Kay. This is our only way to communicate besides phone calls until we can see each other again.
– Hey, you are always stuck on your phone, is kidding Matthias while we are sat in the van on our way to a mission. Don’t forget your job. This event in town centre risks to degenerate, it’s not the moment to lose focus.
– You’re right, but I’m so excited since I’ve found Kay, you cannot imagine.
– I am the first to be delighted, says Matthias, but be careful not to be caught by Brandt. Especially since you have been absent several times lately. You walk on a tightrope.
The event takes place in calm and we patrol for the rest of the day in order to handle civilians’ safety.
When I come back in the evening, I discover with amazement Bettina in the living room, cradling Max. Lena is not here anymore.
– I have asked her to leave, announces calmly Bettina, as if nothing had happened.
– You’ve come back from Brazil ?
– Yes, yesterday.
– Why are you here ?
Bettina stands up and approaches me.
– Listen Marc. I would like to try to put the pieces back together. I know nothing will ever be the same, but while I was in Brazil, I’ve realized I also had my share of responsibility in this whole story. I have not tried to understand what you were getting through, because I was overwhelmed by anger and rage.
I am surprised by this speech.
– We have to think about the well-being of our son, she continues.
– I agree with you on this point, and you already know that.
– We will never be together again, but at least, we can try to make sure to protect him as best as we can. I’ve realized I had committed something horrible by leaving him.
– Why have you left ? I ask.
– I think I’ve made a total rejection following what happened. I’ve pretended like I could forget everything, but it’s not possible. Max is just as much your son that he is mine, so I thought you also had the right to raise him. And from what I was able to speak with this Lena, you have been a perfect father.
A moment of silence follows.
– I want to discuss with you, to understand, she says.
For the first time in many months, I finally feel Bettina is ready to listen to me, even if I blame her for having abandoned Max. Of course, I am also guilty in the first place to have cheated on her. We sit down on the couch, and for several hours, I tell her from every conceivable angle my feeling, but also everything that happened during her absence, including my search for Kay and our reunion.
– I can’t say I’m happy, she declares, because he is still the man who broke our couple, but if it allows you to go forward and feel better, then I am at least glad for you.
– Thank you Bettina.
As she has not seen Max since a long time, I propose her to keep him for a few days, which she accepts with pleasure. Because, as she said, Max needs her just as much as he needs me. This child was born from our union, and nothing can change that, whatever the actual situation is.
Now that Max is the hands of Bettina, I focus myself for the rest of the week on my job to go on again on good bases. I spend each evening in our previous house in order to visit Bettina and see Max. Our relation, though still tense, significantly improves. I finally have the feeling my life is regaining little by little a normal appearance, what I thought would have been impossible four months ago. I am satisfied to have hung on.
On Friday evening, I call Kay.
– Good evening, my love.
– Hello you. You’re still coming tomorrow, right ?
– Of course !
I take advantage of our conversation to tell him about the return of Bettina.
– You cannot imagine how much I’m impatient to take you in my arms, he announces me. This week without you has been the longest in my entire life.
– However, I have a bad news. I will only be able to make it in the middle of the night, I’m sorry. Brandt has stuck us with a god damn mission, and I can’t slip away from it. The good news is that we have our Monday, so I will still stay two days.
The next evening, I take the night train for Düsseldorf. I am so in a hurry that I don’t take time to change myself. I leave with my uniform on, my service weapon and my little luggage already prepared. The train reaches the railway station at 4.30am. I immediately head on foot to Kay’s apartment. When I arrive in front of the building, I ring the intercom. No answer. It worries me and I am blocked. I call Kay on his cell phone but no answer too. He must be sleeping, I think.
Luckily, a group of young partygoers slightly drunk, probably just coming back from a nightclub, appear and go inside the building. I take advantage of the situation to step into the breach behind them. When I arrive in front of the door of Kay’s studio, I discover with surprise that it is half-opened and the lock smashed, as if someone had kicked the door to open it by force. I immediately rush inside. The apartment is upside-down. There has been a struggle here, it is undeniable. Fear and anxiety immediately overwhelm me. What happened ? Where is Kay ? Then suddenly, I think again to what he had explained me last week : Gregor Limpinski had chased and harassed him during several weeks after his departure from the unit. It can only be him. I shout in rage.
I barely find Kay again that he is taken from me straight away. I try as hard as I can to keep calm and start to search the apartment seeking for evidences. It doesn’t take me long before I discover a sheet of paper placed on Kay’s bed. A word is written on it with a muddled writing : Rendezvous at the Rheinturm. If you call the cops, I kill Kay. It is the big tower which is used as a wave transmitter for television and radio around Düsseldorf.
There’s no name written, but I’m now almost sure it is Limpinski. The bastard ! I fall on the ground, powerless. I hesitate for a second to call the police, but I know well Gregor to have worked with him. He is not the type of guy to joke in this kind of circumstances and he is mentally unstable. I will have to handle it myself. I stand up. Finally, I’m glad to have brought my service weapon with me, because I don’t know what awaits me up there. All I hope is that Kay is alive and safe and that this asshole has not touched him. I don’t prefer to think something else could have happened to him. Above all, I ask myself how Gregor managed to reach the top of the tower with Kay without being caught. But if he got through, it means he has been devising his plan since long ago. He also knew I was coming today. It makes sense, I think for myself. He hopes to kill two birds with one stone. Kay thought he was safe, but Gregor, one way or another, found him. He is ready for anything to satisfy his desire for vengeance.
– You motherfucker, I whisper.
I verify my service gun, of a 9mm caliber, and hide it meticulously behind my pants. I take off my uniform jacket and steal one of Kay’s sweatshirts which I find in a wardrobe and put it on. I slip the sweatshirt over my pants in order to hide my weapon. I put the hood on my head. Without delay, I hit the road in the direction of the Rheinturm, taking care of being as discreet as possible. The time to reach the Rheinturm, it is around 5.30am. A board indicates that renovation works are taking place at the top of the tower for several days and that all activity is momentarily stopped. Limpinski has very well chosen his day indeed.
I find an access door at the bottom of the tower. The security lock is exploded. Gregor probably took that way. I sneak in without a noise, take off my hood and take the safety stairs two by two, avoiding the elevator to not be detected. I am exhausted when I arrive at the top, and stop for a few seconds in order to catch my breath. I’m afraid it is too late. That Kay is dead. I try to get rid of this macabre thought and penetrate in the room of the panoramic restaurant from the Rheinturm, but there is no sound. The place is plunged in darkness, only illuminated by city lights. No sign of life here. I inspect upper floors of the top of the tower but don’t find anything or anyone either. I come to the conclusion that Gregor and Kay must be in the last level linked to the antennae.
I carefully open the door, one hand behind my back, ready to grab my weapon. The room, smaller than inferior floors, is made of computing towers and filled with hard disks. Only the glows of the city come light up the place as well as the green, red and blue diodes from computers. I step prudently into this maze of servers similar to a labyrinth. No sound. And suddenly I hear his deep voice behind me.
– So you damn faggot, you dared to move your ass over here, congratulations.
My doubts are confirmed. I softly turn around and discover with terror Gregor Limpinski, a gun in the hand, directly aimed at me. Kay lies just next to him, on his knees, a bag of black fabric on the head and the hands attached behind his back. He wears a white t-shirt stained with blood.
– What have you done to him fucking pig ? I get enraged.
Limpinski glares at me then flaunts a crazed smile.
– You’ve come to meet up with your cursed lover ? What a good thing, you will be able to say goodbye to each other.
Gregor takes off the bag and I then discover the tumid face of Kay. His mouth is gagged, so that he can’t speak and call for help. I am horrified to see him like this. Much more than when I found him in this bar, half dead. I feel a light of hope in his moist eyes when he becomes aware of my presence. Anger immediately rises in me and I start moving toward Gregor, ready to finish this off.
– Tssss, stop, bad idea, he grumbles.
He points his gun at Kay’s temple. I halt straight away.
– Don’t do this, I beg you, I shout in desperation.
He shakes his weapon near Kay’s face. I see his body trembling and a tear flowing on his face.
– You and your boyfriend have ruined my career, do you know that ? I was about to be promoted. You have spoiled everything. If this faggot of Kay had not rolled up in the unit, none of this would have happened.
I softly raise my hands as a sign of submission and carefully step forward.
– It’s not too late Gregor, you can still re-enlist, I say, trying to temper the situation. We won’t say anything, I promise.
– I hope you’re kidding ? Do you seriously think that any unit would want me ? I’ve been struck off the list. Don’t attempt to create a diversion.
– Why are you doing this ? Do you really think it is worth it ?
– I don’t have anything left to lose. Even my fucking wife has left me. I’ve slapped that bitch. The only thing I have left is vengeance. I’m gonna shoot down the both of you.
An irascible fear suddenly strikes me. Lose Kay, lose life. No way.
– You will be hunted down, tracked, if you do this, I threaten in order to destabilize him.
– No risk, I’ve planned everything. I will cover up the crime. I already imagine the headlines : Two cursed lovers tear each other apart. Caught in madness, he kills his partner then suicides.
– You’re totally out of your mind. You will be uncovered.
– Enough talking, it is time to say farewell. One last word for Marc, Kay ?
Gregor removes his gag. Kay takes a deep breath. I see several tears starting to flow on his face. Kay begins to speak without even paying attention to Gregor, ignoring him :
– Marc, I love you so much, he pronounces with difficulty, probably petrified by fear and pain. Don’t try anything impossible for me, ok ? The most important, is that we were able to find each other again. If I had to die before, lonely, without you, I would have gone unhappy.
Kay marks a pause and gives a little cough.
– But I can die in peace knowing that we are together again. I should have anticipated that this peace of shit would rediscover me, he finishes to say while fixing Gregor with a despising gaze and an insolent smile.
Limpinski beats him in the back, probably irritated by this last sentence.
– Pathetic, spits Gregor. I shoot him down first, then this is your turn Borgmann.
Gregor pulls off the trigger guard.
– Stop, bastard ! I grumble.
– Your face is the last thing I take away, says Kay to me with a smile.
I see Limpinski’s finger getting closer to the trigger, powerless.
– No ! I yell while pulling out as fast as I can my weapon, taking advantage of this crucial moment of inattention from Gregor. I shoot a bullet in his direction. Lack of luck and because of panic, the bullet misses its target and embeds itself in a wall.
– You son of a bitch, shouts Gregor, pointing his gun on me.
I just have the time to throw myself aside when he shoots. I lose my weapon in the process. The bullet hits a window of the tower which smashes to pieces. I immediately pick myself up and don’t let him the time to act, rushing at him. I knock over him with all my strength, pushing him right into a wall where his back hurts itself with violence. His gun flies through the room and crashes on the ground.
He grabs me by the shoulders and chucks me aside. He is much more stronger than I am. While I get back on my feet, I realize he is heading to his weapon. I don’t let him the chance to reach his goal and throw myself onto him again. I administer him a punch in the middle of the face. His nose starts bleeding. He growls as an animal and fights back. I try as much as possible to protect myself from his assaults. He seems to be caught in a blind rage.
– I’m gonna burst you, damn loose ! he barks.
I attempt to throw him a new hit, but I realize we are dangerously getting closer from the smashed window. Void is threatening me just a few steps away. With a quick movement, I dash aside and try to knock my foot on Gregor’s leg in order to make him fall, in vain. I am down to my last ounce of strength, already exhausted by the ascension of the tower. Finally, he manages to pin me against a wall and violently grasps my neck with his two hands, starting to squeeze it to death. I attempt to rid myself from his grip, but can’t. Even my legs don’t seem to be able to move. I can’t breathe anymore. My sight becomes blurred. All is over. Shit !
– I suddenly hear Kay’s voice behind Gregor.
– Hey, fucker !
Gregor turns around, surprised. He releases my neck. I fall on the ground, half unconscious. It takes me a few seconds to discover Kay, on his feet. He has taken advantage of our struggle and Gregor’s inattention to pass his attached fists under his legs and to get back my weapon, which he holds with both hands, aimed at Gregor.
– You won’t dare to shoot, pussy, says Gregor with a disturbed laugh while I struggle to regain consciousness. You will let me go, but I will continue to hunt you down relentlessly. This isn’t over, trust me, he threatens.
Kay doesn’t let himself get flustered and firmly points the gun at Gregor.
– I’m not kidding.
– You will have my death on your conscience, Angel.
In a desperate attempt to get out, Gregor throws himself without warning on Kay, who immediately shoots the whole magazine, riddling him with bullets. Gregor falls on his knees, looking his multiple wounds from which blood starts flowing. Kay approaches him.
– Yes, I will have your death on my conscience scumbag, you’re right … but it relieves, concludes Kay.
Limpinski drops dead on the ground. Silence comes back in the room. It is over.
Kay collapses too, having reached his limits. I quickly join him and take him in my arms. I dry his face stained with blood with my hand.
– Kay, are you ok ? Answer me !
He smiles at me and caresses my face.
– You saved my life, I say to him while crying.
– It was my turn this time, he finds the courage to joke in a whisper.
I kiss him and help him to get back on his feet.
I ask him to grab my shoulder in order to facilitate him the walking. We approach the broken window in order to breathe some fresh air.
– He has arrived without warning, explains Kay. I was sleeping while waiting for you, and he has intruded into the apartment. I’ve tried to resist, but he has knocked me unconscious. I thought I was in a real nightmare when I saw him showing up. I thought I was rid of him. But most of all, I had the biggest fear of my whole life : never see you again.
I hold him in my arms to comfort him and let him spill tears of sorrow.
– I’m here now, and Gregor will never hurt anyone again. He had what he deserved. If it was not him, it would have been us who would be dead right now. You have done what was necessary. It was legitimate defense, we won’t be sued. We will explain everything to police.
I put my head against his.
– I thought you were dead Kay. When I arrived in your apartment. When I run to come here. I thought it would be too late.
– I knew you would come, Marc.
Kay raises his face next to mine.
– I love you.
– Me too, I answer him.
We stay stuck into each other arms, trying to forget the trauma we just got through.
– Starting from now, nothing will keep us away from each other. I promise you to stay by your side forever, Kay. No more separation. We move together, and we start a new life. We have suffered enough. Do you agree to follow me ?
– More than ever, Marc.
Our lips get closer, and we kiss each other endlessly while the sun rises, its first beams touching and warming our faces.
Our demons are now behind us. All that could have hindered our relation belongs to the past. Our love has overcome the difficult ordeals that stood on our way, from our meeting to this day. A new chapter awaits us now. And for the first time, I look Kay’s face illuminated by the sun with a new hope.
A little surprise just for you, a music video I created !